Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Walking


I grow weary of all the hype about walking. Every couple of months there’s a feature article on AOL encouraging people to walk. Emails abound extolling the virtues of walking. But I’m not buying into it.

I kinda/sorta thought about walking when I read that walking 30 minutes per day burns waist fat and shrinks the waist first –even before we lose weight (because keeping waist size down reduces your risk of diabetes by 58% and diabetes is one thing I really don’t want because there is no way I could ever give up Reisens and red licorice).

I prefer the Emails that mock walking:

Walking can add minutes to your life.

This enables you, at 85 years old,
to spend an additional 5 months
in a nursing home at $7000 per month.

My grandpa started walking five miles
a day when he was 60. Now he's 97 years old
and we don't know where he is.

The only reason I would take up walking

is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

To avoid becoming a total couch potato, I do make an effort to walk at least once a week…through the mall a few times. Shopping, after all, is my favorite exercise.

No comments: