Saturday, March 21, 2009

First Day of Spring


Actually, yesterday was the first day of spring, but I didn't want to detract from my husband's birthday - and since nothing else is going on today, I feel free to wax poetic about spring, showers, and flowers.

I'm assuming we won't be seeing too many showers this spring because we had an unusually wet winter. And because of that, I expect to see an abundance of flowers - which is great because I love, love, love flowers. All flowers. There isn't a flower I don't like. Okay, I lied. There is one flower I don't like - Anthuriums. But I still use those ugly buzzards in my exotic floral arrangements. I also use them sometimes in Valentine's Day arrangements because they are shaped like a heart. Oh, and I also don't like gladiolas. They are only good for one thing - funerals (but I told my kids if there are any gladiolas at my funeral I'll never speak to them again). .
There is one flower I really love, but you'll never see them in my house because I hate the smell of them - Star Gazer lilies.
.
I have a confession to make. I used to live two blocks from the Huntington Library in San Marino and so there was a lot of traffic on our street. I always had about 12 pots of yellow tulips lining the steps up to our front door. Tourists would stop in front of our house to take photos on our steps. I was famous for how long my tulips bloomed. But I had a dirty little secret: once the real tulips wilted, I replaced the stems with fake ones! Since they were surrounded by the live plant material, no one noticed that they weren't real. (Feel free to steal my idea).
.

No comments: