Thursday, April 9, 2009

Happy Birthday to me...


(and I thought it was impossible to put 64 candles on a cake)

I'm not having any more birthdays. I liked my 60th ("colorful" photo below) so much that every year I'm just going to look at all my photos from that party and smile and pretend I'm still 60. (They say 60 is the new 40, so I'm pretending I'm an old looking 40 year old). Wait a minute... I just dug out a photo of me when I was 40 (the good looking top photo)...they LIED! Sixty is definitely not the new 40! (Okay, so I'll pretend I'm an old looking 55 year old.)
They did a very strange thing at my birthday party. There were over thirty people there and about half of them stood up and talked about how I had impacted their life. After about the tenth person, I said, "Did I die?" I felt like I was at my funeral. Looking back on it, it was a wonderful thing to "be at my own funeral." How many people get the chance to hear what people think of them. I think we should make this a part of every birthday celebration. If you don't have an occasion to do it, write your feelings about your friends in their birthday card or Christmas card.


"I would rather have one rose and a kind word
from a friend while I'm here
than a whole truck load when I'm gone."

No comments: