Monday, November 2, 2009

"No Cigars or Giorgio perfume!"



I’m almost finished with my Christmas shopping and I’m down to buying perfumes.  There are sooo many to choose from.  But someone suggested that you think about who your favorite designer is, and pick their fragrance – if you admire their taste in clothes, there is a good chance you’ll like their fragrance.  I immediately thought, “yes, I’ve always admired Chanel and Chanel No. 5 was my favorite fragrance for years.”  The trouble is, nobody I know buys designer clothes.  So I started thinking about what designer clothes my friends would look best in.  The problem, I discovered, was that designers don’t design for normal people.   The clothes we actually wear would look ridiculous on a catwalk – and the last time I checked,  Coldwater Creek and Marshall’s don’t have signature scents.  So I went to Sephora and just started sniffing the bottles I thought looked attractive and would like to see on my own vanity.  I was drawn to “The One” by Dolce and Gabbana.  One sniff and I felt like I was on my way to Heaven.  Would I ever wear Dolce and Gabbana? (fat chance – even if they designed a plus size line they are too too out there for my taste.) I finally just pictured the person I was shopping for, and imagined them smelling like the fragrance I was testing.  That was fun.
One thing I kept in mind was that the fragrance shouldn't be too overpowering.  It wasn't long ago that there were actually signs posted in fine restaurants saying, "No cigars or Giorgio perfume!" (and I'm sure we've all been in an elevator with someone who was on perfume overload).

No comments: