Thursday, September 17, 2009

Our 39th Wedding Anniversary


My grandfather used to say that when a man and woman gets married, she has 50 angels on her shoulders and he has 50 devils on his shoulders. For every year they are married, he gets one of her angels and she gets one of his devils. So by the time they are married 50 years, she has all the devils and he has all the angels. (That explains why women get so crabby in their old age and why old men are so sweet).

In our early married years Alan used to keep telling me not to let people walk all over me. He kept saying things like, "you need to learn to stand up to people" and "you need to learn how to say 'No' once in a while." Now he complains when I stand up to him. So I remind him that he's the one who always said that I should speak my mind. But he answers, "Yeah, but not to ME." I guess I've just gotten way too many devils on my shoulders. Maybe after 50 years we'll start trading back again ...you think?

No comments: